Peel o' Hill

Has been described as a Certain Bastle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NamePeel o' Hill
Alternative NamesPeloth Hill; Peele of the hill; Pelawhill; Pelahill
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishBewcastle

Farmhouse which was formerly bastle house. It was probably built in C16 with additions in 1811. It has white washed stone rubble on projecting plinth stones with large flush quoins and has a Welsh slate roof with stone end chimney stacks. It is 2 storeys high and has 3 bays. (Listed Building Report)

Peel O'Hill is a farm incorporating a building measuring 33.5 ft x 23.5 ft which Curwen took to be a tower from which the upper part had been removed but which is more probably a bastle. Curwen's plan shows NW and S walls 4 ft thick and the E wall 5 ft thick (Ramm et al).

The bastle is incorporated into the fabric of a modern farmhouse and only its south face, with later windows inserted, is visible externally (F1 DS 06-JUL-72). (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

Dwelling of 'Addam Storye' and 'Will Storye' in 1583.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY558753
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights ReservedView full Sized Image
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights ReservedView full Sized Image

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 56 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 102 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 96
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 153
  • Ramm, H.G., McDowall, R.W. and Mercer, E., 1970, Shielings and Bastles (London: HMSO) p. 76, no. 9
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 388-9
  • Mannex and Whellan, 1847, History and Gazetteer of Cumberland (Beverley) p. 597 online copy


  • Dixon, P., 1979, 'Towerhouses, Pelehouses and Border Society' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 136 p. 249

Primary Sources

  • Bain, J., 1894, Calendar of Letters and Papers relating to the Borders of England and Scotland (Edinburgh: HMSO) Vol. 1 1560-1594 p. 123 (Mulgrave letter of 1584 on Border riders) online copy
  • Sanderson, R.P. (ed), 1891, Survey of the Debateable and Border Lands Adjoining the Realm of Scotland and Belonging to the Crown of England, Taken A.D. 1604 (Alnwick)